History of sciatic nerve attack. Slow to pass urine, passing less urine. Prostate problem?

Hi Am 61yrs old, am 1.8m tall, I weigh 79kg. I have no major medical history other than a lower back problem which manifested itself through a sciatic nerve attack that paralized my right leg with devastating pain. Am okay now except for some numbness on my knee area. My question is on the prostate . How do you know that you have a prostate problem and when is it necessary to have it removed through surgery and what are the consequences of such surgery, i.e. inability to have an erection? At the moment I pass urine although it is a bit slow in coming out especially if I wake up from sleep and go to pee. During the day time it is better but I tend to pass less urine than I expect.
Asked On : Mon, 26 Nov 2012