History of prolapsed disc. Have arthritis, leg pain and numbness. How to help movement without surgery?

my wife had a prolapsed disc aprox 8 years ago, she is now left with arthirtes and very bad pain, nerve damage, loss of felling in lower right leg. We was told that after 18 months after an op what ever pain she in still in that is as good as it is going to be, we think that when she had the op after cutting the bone above and below and cutting out the piece of disc they fused the two bones together? My wife is now unable to walk without having to use a stick or if it is to far then she is in a wheelchair, is there anything that can be done for her to help with her movement without more surgery?
Asked On : Mon, 14 Jan 2013