History of knee injury. Pain and sound in knee. Occasional numbness. Cause?

Hi a few yrs ago I injuried my kneein a race the doc says there is just swelling in and around the joint and the pain will go away in time the pain never went away on fact over the yrs it has steadily gotten worse combined with a crunching grinding popping sound and feel in my knee an occasionally I wake up unable to feel the bottom half of my leg the feeling does return after a while though. Given all this I cant help but feel something was missed what could be the cause of all this and what could be the best treatment to resolve the issue
Asked On : Tue, 4 Dec 2012