History of COPD. Breathlessness, fatigued, weightloss. Xray showed shadow on lung. What is it? Cancer?

Hi my father has a long history of copd . Over the last 6 months he has become increasingly breathless , fatigued and there is a notable weightloss. He had an xray which showed a shadow on his lung . The GP has arrannged an urgent CT scan and told my father that the outcome could be nasty ,,,, or a deep seeded infection. He has no symptoms of a fever etc but is complianing of pain in his chest particuarlry when swallowing food, Could the shadow be cancer?
Asked On : Fri, 15 Mar 2013