High protein level in blood, elevated platelets. What is causing this? Why am I weak?

I am 65 year old male...had a blood test at hematologist which showed abnormally high protein level in blood. I also have had elevated platelets for the last few years which reached about 600 which I see a hematolgist for follow up every 6months. What can cause a high blood protein in blood. Can weight lifiting before the test do that. I feel fine and everything else is normal. I had a physcial a week before and my internist advised that my blood protein was normal.
Asked On : Sat, 30 Jun 2012
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
1. high blood protein [hyperproteinemia] was mainly due to infection [seasonal flu] since blood protein came back normal.
2. it can increase because of loss of more water than plasma e.g. secondary to burns, dehydration and diabetes insipidus.
3. High blood protein may also be a sign of chronic inflammation or infection, particularly of the liver [hepatitis B and C and HIV]. Elevated levels of immune system proteins produced by the bone marrow may raise concerns about certain bone marrow diseases. [multiple myeloma]
4. elevated platelets [thrombocytopenia] is a common finding and since your hematologist has evaluated the same thus stands meaningless, high count is generally due to an inflammatory state [when the body is fighting off an infection or recovering from a surgery.] stick to following your blood counts and symptoms with your primary care physician and if they elevate significantly call your hematologist for appointment. [blood loss,infection,splenectomy, Kawasaki's disease,Hodgkin's disease,trauma/surgery,myelofibrosis, myelodysplasia,and chronic myeloid]
5. if prior to lifting weight you have taken high fat and sugar diet, that can be one of the factor in having raised protein in blood.

. A high-protein diet doesn't cause high blood protein, but high-fat and high-sugar diets can cause inflammation that increases levels of a specific protein called C-reactive protein [thus anything which causes inflammation like arthritis, celiac disease, smoking, high cholesterol will release this protein and elevation] and indicate the presence or an increased risk of cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure and Type 2 diabetes.
. if you experience nausea or poor appetite ,unexplained weight loss,severe fatigue or persistent fever consult with your health care provider who might ask for SPEP. [ A serum protein electrophoresis (SPEP) test separates and measures individual blood proteins, indicating which specific protein type is causing your high blood protein levels]