High cholesterol. Family history of strokes. Should I take medicine to reduce cholesterol?

Hi... I got a recent blood test result which show my cholestrol had rose to 7 .. I follow a mediterrean diet.. dont eat much red meat.. always use olive oil.. dont eat fast foods or fried foods.. I was surprised cos last result 2 yars ago my cholestrol was 4.. my doctor says that I am not a high risk person but at 51 I am worried about this,as my mother had strokes in later lif., should I insist on gtting medication to reduce it.. My doctor didnt prescribe anything and I am to just continue as is... all my other bloods were fine except my thyroid levels are borderline low.. what should I do... I have started exercising more .. and at 5'3inches I weigh 61 kg.. am not overweight.. thanks
Asked On : Sun, 21 Apr 2013