High blood sugar levels. Taking Gemer. Gained weight. Effect of medicine?

i am a diabetic, 62 years, weigh 89 kgs. some three months ago my doctor prescribed the following drugs:gemer pl 2 (in the morning) and gemer 1 at night) when he found that my blood sugar levels continued to be a bit high( fasting:140; PP:205). Last fortnight I underwent a thorough check-up at a diabetes centre at chennai. My blood sugar levels read 107 (fasting), 189 (pp) and HbA1c 6.2. The diabetologist advised me not to take gemer Pl 2 as it is fraught with serious side effects including rapid weight gain , even cancer and instead prescribed gemer 2 forte ( in the morning before food, jalra 50 mg after breakfast and gemer 1 at night before food). I had indeed gained around 9 kgs in two months of taking gemer pl 2 .Kindly clarify as to the side effects of pl 2 and also advise me as to whether i should take jalra 50 mg in place of gemer pl 2.
Asked On : Sat, 20 Oct 2012