High ESR levels, unable to stand for long, fever. Medication to control this?

good morning sir actually my father suffered with high level of esr .pls suggest how to control and what medicine is used for the treatment .because of this higher level of esr he always feel like having fever and also he is not able to stand for long time if he do this then he has to face legache .so plz sir suggest but to do ?
Asked On : Tue, 31 Jul 2012
Rheumatologist 's  Response
Hi. ESR is a blood test which reflects many underlying parameters in the blood, and is not a disease. There is no treatment available for elevated ESR, but the cause of the elevated ESR needs to be found and treated, which will reduce the ESR automatically when the underlying disease subsides. ESR is a non-specific test which can be increased in a number of conditions including infection, tuberculosis, malignancy, etc. So please get him evaluated as to why he has fever with elevated ESR and then get him treated for the same. I hope i have cleared your query. Thank you
Ophthalmologist Dr. Khushbu Bhattad's  Response
welcome to HCM.
HIGH ESR is due to inflammation such as infection, arthritis, or cancer or abnormal proteins in the body. While the ESR is not an indication of any one disease, it commonly increases with any condition that causes inflammation. However, up to 10% of normal, healthy people have a mildly elevated ESR and it tends to increase with age.
disease like rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, vasculitic disease and almost any other inflammatory condition may be associated with an elevated ESR. Other well-established causes included subacute bacterial endocarditis (SBE), myeloma, abscess, pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and osteomyelitis have raised esr.
So, if you have an elevated ESR, don’t panic—keep in mind that even diseases associated with an elevated ESR cannot be diagnosed by the ESR alone.
please consult physician and undergo proper health check up and take treatment if requires
i hope i answered your query
take care