High BP with headache, gave Diovan (w/out dyuretic). Need to ask a doctor for advice?

Hi, thank you so much for helping. It s my husband (almost 84 years old now) who has never had a high blood prssure, but now he said he had a headache , meassured his BP and it was 170/90 .. so I had at home this Diovan 80 mg (w/out dyuretic) and gave him a pill . Was it ok to give it to him? and how long would I wait till I measure his BP again to see if it has lowered? I live in Venezuela where there is not a 901 help . I wouldn´t want to get out alone with him to take him to a hospital.
Asked On : Sun, 24 Mar 2013