High ASOT levels, on pencillin injection, no relief, throat swab test normal. How long should the treatment be taken?

Hi I am Asif ...My friends DAUGHTER(12YRS)HAD A ASOT TEST AND IT WAS AT 500.SHE HAS BEEN ON TREATMENT FOR OVER 7 MONTHS ON PENNYSYLIN inj 4miu/month but the result is still the same although the throat swab test was normal, could this cause the STREPTOCOCUS O infection and what should the treatment be for this little girl to be free of this infection.Please advise.Much appreciated.Awaiting a reply.
Asked On : Fri, 26 Oct 2012

Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Asif,

ASOT titre or ASLO titre as it's commonly preferred, is usually raised is streptococcal infection of throat in individual who are prone to Rheumatic fever.
Benzathaine Penicillin prophylaxis is usually required to prevent Rheumatic fever affecting the heart valves. Heart is affected because the antigen on cardiac valves resemble that of streptococcal antigen and body antibodies destroy the cardiac valves whenever there is streptococcal infection. ASLO titre May be.elevated for 2to 3 months following start of Penicillin prophylaxis. She.Will.have to be on penicillin prophylaxis once in every 3weeks till the age of 18years to prevent Rheumatic fever manifestation into Rheumatic heart disease.

I hope it helped

Wishing her a healthy life

Dr T Shobha