High ASO levels. On penicillin injections. having stiff joints. Continue injections?

hey... i was detected of high aso level in my body(around 3000 ul/ml) around 3 years ago. i am on penicillin injection for the last 2 and a half years now... the current level is around 1500 ul/ml. i don t have joint pains anymore, but i do feel tired all the time and have stiff joints sometimes... do i have to continue with my injections? is there are faster approach ? i m 19 years of age(if relevant)
Asked On : Tue, 12 Feb 2013
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic,

You have suffered Rheumatic arthritis that is why ASO titre was high there are other findings and investigations are considered.

Penicillin is given to prevent recurrent infection of throat with streptococcus bacteria.
It is not clear did you suffer on heart known as carditis.

if so you need to take penicillin every month till the age of 40 years or more.

It is given to prevent damage to valves of heart.

You should consult a cardiologist and get a 2 D echocardiography to see if any effect is there on heart.

Hope this information helps

Good Luck.
Dr.Akhilesh Dubey M.D.