Hiatal hernia, intense pain causing discomfort. Advised surgery post weight reduction. Is it worth waiting?

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia that involves my intestines and stomach in my chest . The surgeons I saw felt I was okay to wait to have surgery until I lost weight so that the opening can be repaired and hopefully take. I m concerned now because with every pain I have I m worried something is going wrong. Am I really okay to wait to have surgery? Trying to decide whether to have a second opinion.
Asked On : Fri, 22 Jun 2012