Herniated disc shrunk by itself, pain subsided. Should I get surgery?

Hi i am about to under spinal fusion on my lower spin! I herniated my disc a few years ago underwent to steriod injection with some to no improvement , although the disc itself has shrunken my pain has all of a sudden subsided. I have always been flexible and fit , im not taking drugs everyday for the pain am just trying to stay fit and healthy. I went back to my surgeon today with my concerns and he said wait abit and see how you go. Don t rush into surgery if you are having doubts. What are your thoughts? should i do it now just to get it out of the way while i am young and fit or see what happens in the future? Not that im looking to get pregnant in the forseable future but what if it happens? While i be in a while chair due to pain from the herniation. ? I also have some DDD, in the discs? with the disc above the herniated one is torn but i do feel i mange quite well in day to day life. I am a veterinary nurse so i do do alot of lifting and twisting, hence how the herniation came about. but the fact that im doing well at the present time. . should i just wait and see what happens? ive never had surgery before. . so are my doubts just nerves to having surgery? Please help, thanks Steph from New Zealand
Asked On : Sun, 1 Jul 2012