Heavy smoker. White bump on side of tongue, containing fluid. Suggestion?

I have a small white bump on the side of my tongue . It does not contain any sort of fluid; it does not hurt; it is not bleeding . Before learning that it does not contain any sort of fluid, I attempted to pop it, (Yes, I know this was not a bright idea; no, I will not be doing it again) and I discovered a couple of interesting things: For one, there is a small hole in the middle of this bump when exposed through the pressure applied when squeezing it. Secondly, when exposed, one can observe that the white bump is perfectly symmetrical. I first took notice of the white bump five days ago, and since then it has grown very minutely, yet rapidly enough to raise concern and alarm. Importantly noted: I am and have been a heavy smoker for the past three years. Thank you. -Tanner
Asked On : Thu, 29 Nov 2012
  Anonymous's Response
According to your given details it might be a small benign tumor (no need to worry about this) called granular cell tumor (myoblastoma) of tongue. This nodule can be removed surgically (minor: Excision) if the size is too big and annoys you. If it is too small surgical management is not necessary but it cannot be diminished with medical treatment. Smoking might have be one of the causes.
Good Luck.