Heavy smoker. Had three back surgeries for lumbar stenosis. Taking oxycontin. What could be done?

I have had three back surgeries for lumbar stenosis. I've recently been informed that surgeries have not worked. Had fusion of l3,4,5 and three years later fusion apparently never really worked. Not only that but L2 is now in need of fusion, as is S1. Surgery to totally redo past surgeries, fusion, etc and to extend fusion to l2 and s1 is now recommended. This would also require incicision in lower abdomen (front) region as well. I'm told now that as a heavy smoker, my chances for successful fusion were markedly reduced! Wish I had known. I plan to be a non smoker before any other surgery. First...I'm really skeptical about results, and 2nd I'm wondering if I'm just wasting my time...I'm on oxycontin, yet still unable to stand or walk more than 5-10 minutes...and oh yes..I'm scared as hell!!! Any comments?
Asked On : Wed, 27 Mar 2013