Heavy period with huge clots lasting for 3 weeks. Can fibroid cause heavy bleeding ?

HI I am in the middle of a period which has lasted for 3 weeks and for 2 weeks it has been very very heavy with huge clots, I have had to change my tampon every hour, although it has now slowed a bit. I am 49years old. I did have a scan a few months back and they said I did have fybroids but they have never caused any problems. Could they have caused this heavy bleed or possibly could it be due to my age. Should I get this problem checked, could it be serious??
Asked On : Mon, 6 Aug 2012
Hi. You are peri menopausal. You really had very heavy periods and fibroids do cause heavy bleeding, but it depends on its site and size. You are having it for the first time, so may be reason is not fibroids .Get a scan done and see if the endometrial linlng has gone extra thick and bleeding.
For this you will need an endometrial biopsy and treat the cause. So, certainly you need to get checked and investigated.