Heavy period, dark colored with clumps, cramps. What must have happened?

hi, I am a 22 y/o female. I have been menstruating for around 25 days. It for the most part, has been a heavy flow. Some days it is a very dark colored red and other days it is almost an orange-like color. Heavy bleeding is usually accompanied by cramps , aches, and pains. Last night I felt so weak that I was unable to stand for a few minutes. I will have days where I am so tired that if I do not have to go to work, I will stay in bed all day and sleep because I feel overwhelmingly tired. I do not have health insurance, so before I go to the doctor and spend money, I need to know if this is an absolute necessity. Also, I have noticed that when I have a heavy flow, I usually see small to medium size clumps, and once saw a large clump. There is no possible way for me to be pregnant or have had a miscarriage . Besides obviously consulting my physician, what other steps can I take to help. Thanks in advance.
Asked On : Sun, 17 Feb 2013