Heavy menstrual periods, mid-cycle spotting. Internal scan showed thick endometrial lining. Advised dnc, testing the lining, mini progesterone pill. Any other alternatives?

Hi, I have just turned 41 years of age and for the past year or so have suffered with very heavy menstrual periods, some months loss is anywhere from 90 mls - 200 mls per cycle. Last month I had a bit of mid cycle spotting, so I became concerned, went to my gynecologist this week and he did an internal scan and said that my endometrial lining is approx 15 mm, was on day 17 / 18 of my cycle, with a cycle of normally 28-30 days sometimes go to 34 days. I am away that I have slightly polycistic ovaries and I know i probably do not ovulate every month, probably suffering from low progesterone on and off over past number of years. I have three children, first one at 28, then 32 and then 38. He has advised me to go for a d&c and to check the lining at the lab just in case, I am now very worried and scared that there might be something more serious, even though he said it is rare at my age. He has suggested the marina coil or a mini progesterone pill , is there any alternative remedies in the meantime, I am scheduled for the d&c in four weeks time, I am very worried. My own mother has suffered from heavy menstruation in her 30 s and 40 s too.
Asked On : Mon, 4 Jun 2012