Heavy irregular periods in perimenopause, then light spotting, now long periods. How to treat this ?

after years of heavy irregular periods in perimenopause, the past 16 months i had gone 6 months with only a little spotting, then about 1 or 2 light period: then 7 months of the same...1 or 2 days light, now this months for 2 weeks off and on a light period except for every 4 or 5 days theres a time when theres more, like today. Its very annoying. I have had periods go up to 18 days or so where i tapered off gradually. The last troublesome one was 16 months ago. but the last two weeks have been ridiculous. i am sick of having them. i felt so free when they were absent. i get really upset when i start because they used to be so bad, and i am afraid of them returning. i know that doesnt help, and i have been laid off and really concerned about my job as i am a single mom. i am over 50, and feel pretty good most of the time. i dont want these stupid things again. i dont know what to do about my stress . my friend went through this, but finally stopped about 18 months ago. is the end of these near?
Asked On : Wed, 13 Feb 2013