Heavy brown discharge, pain. What can it be?

Hi i started my period on Feb. 12 and it ended on the 18 like normal but the next day i started having a brown discharge that was light. I thought it was old blood . But its Ben a week. With the brown discharge tomorrow and my pelvic area and back has Ben hurting alot and the brownish bloodied discharge is getting heavier and hurting worse.
Asked On : Fri, 1 Mar 2013
Hello,'Welcome to Healthcaremagic.

From your Query i understood that you have prolonged menstrual bleeding.

Usually slight brown discharge after few days of menstruation is normal.
It is due to residual blood shedding in uterus.
It may be due to hormonal changes.

But you have heavier brown discharge and it is also increasing.
It also associated with pelvic and back pain.
Thus it need immediate medical attention.

There are many causes for this prolonged menstrual bleeding.
Some are fibroids or polyps in uterus, dysfunctional uterine bleeding due to hormonal changes, Infection, Endometrial hyperplasia.

Thyroid disease and low platelet count can also cause menstrual irregularities.
In women with PCOS, anovulatory cycle is common. Anovulatory cycle can cause prolonged and irregular menstrual bleeding.

You may do some basic investigations like Ultrasound abdomen and pelvis to rule out fibroid and ovarian cysts .
Biopsy and swab may be needed.

Do thyroid profile and complete blood count to rule out the general diseases.
Depends upon the cause, treatment varies.
If it is due to thyroid disease, infection etc.. it can be corrected by medication.
If it is due to fibroid or polyp, Surgical intervention may be needed.

Hope this helps.