Heavy bleeding, using tampons to control it, removed tampon, moderate bleeding continues. Foul smell due to tampon stuck inside?

I only get my period every few months so I get a pretty heavy flow . Last year, I started using tampons and have had no problem. Yesterday, though, I for the life of me could remember if I took mine out or not so I tried to put one in but was scared so took it right back out. A few hours later, I was still moderately bleeding so I attempted again. It went in but I put it in badly so it hurt the whole time. I took that out and I m still bleeding but I m worried that I have a tampon in there. There is a super foul smell but I couldn t find anything when I tried to find one. What should I do?
Asked On : Mon, 16 Apr 2012
A foul odor may be an indication of a retained tampon. If a tampon is inserted when one is already present it may become lodged sideways and may be difficult to retrieve. A Dr can retrieve it easily during a speculum exam. The foul odor is from infection within the tampon. As soon as the tampon is removed, the foul odor will disappear.