Heavy bleeding after periods, had intercourse the night before. US showed poly. Could it be just a blood clot?

I had a polyp removed about a year ago and since then my heavy periods had stopped. Last month I had a very heavy bleeding right after my 5th day of the period, I had intercourse the night before. The bleeding was very bad with very heavy thick clots. The ultrasound showed something echogenic and the doctor said its another polyp and i need to get it removed. I am wondering if its possible that what showed in the u/s was just a blood clot ? And I don t understand the very heavy period last month. What is the possible reason of such a heavy bleeding ?
Asked On : Sat, 12 Jan 2013