Heavy and painful periods, diagnosed with bulky uterus and endometriosis. Suggested to take pill for 6 months. Right treatment?

Hi, I am 42 and have been told that I have a bulky uterus and adenmyosis ( not sure of spelling ) was told this is the reason for heavy, painful periods with blood clots which gets worse every month and has affected every aspect of my life as a single mom working. I have also been told that I have myofacial pain so a hysterectomy is not an option for me because of the increase of possible pain afterwards. I have been told to go on the pill continuously for six months to stop my periods and if that does not work to fork out over $300 for mirena . Is this correct??
Asked On : Mon, 31 Dec 2012