Heat, redness and swelling around navel. Why is it painful?

Hello. I am having horrible pain, swelling , redness, and heat in and around my navel. The pain is worse toward the inside of the navel with the swelling, redness, and heat mostly about an inch or two around the outside of the navel. Any ideas of what could cause this. It is painful for me to sit down and stand up. Once I am down or up, the pain isn t as severe. If I lay on either side or my stomach the pain persists.
Asked On : Sun, 7 Oct 2012
Gastroenterologist, Surgical 's  Response
Its called oomphalitis, You neeou need medication to treatd to show this to your doctor as you need medications to treat this and further investigations as sometimes its because navel sometimes remains connected to the intestine (normally it gets separated during development)