Heat rashes on hands, painful, yellow and red circles under eyes. Is it flu?

My 5 year old has red flat small spots like a heat rash on the backs of his hands, both sides. He says they hurt like a nail under the skin. He says they do not itch . No rash anywhere else on body, he states no pain anywhere else. his face is yellow-ish with red circles under his eyes. His skin is usually rather translucent and circles under the eyes are fairly common with him though. Took his temperature orally and it is 98.0 degrees. Is this the start of the flu or something else I should be concerned about?
Asked On : Mon, 28 Jan 2013