Heartburn, vomiting, pain in right rib, Prescribed lidocaine. Healing time?

hi, i wanted to ask about acid reflux. my boyfriend went to a urgent care clinic today because of the pain he was in. he was up all night and no matter what position he was in, it didnt help for any relief. he gets heartburn here and there but lately its been frequent. The pain he was having was basically under is right rib area. He was vomiting and trying to burp as much as possible. I basically want to know if this is more serious of a simple case of heartburn. Dr. presribed Lidocaine. Does this work and if it does how long will it be before it helps him? He is slightly better but not much. He has takin 3 doses so far. 15ml every 4 hours. Is there something better that would help him sooner or is this medecine just not helping him? thank-you for your time in answering this question for me. Cindy
Asked On : Wed, 2 Oct 2013