Heartbeat fast in the early morning, taking norvas and lipitor

lately i feel my heart beating fast while im sleeping and i notice that it usually occurs during early morning around 5 am. Im on norvas for my highblood and lipitor for my cholesterol . i just started with lipitor on 15 march 2012. im wondering whether the lipitor has got anything to do with it. thank you
Asked On : Sun, 25 Mar 2012
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi Beacho,

Thanks for writing in. I am cardiologist and have read your question with interest and diligence. You seem to have three problems which I have listed below:
Hypertension for which you are taking Nor as and I hope your Blood Pressure is controlled with it, so relax.
Second problem you have is increased cholesterol or one or component of lipid profile; here along with drug Lipitor you will have follow proper diet as advised by your doctor and follow an exercise regime so that you do not become overweight.
Third problem which is worrying you is rapid heart rate especially in the morning time. To the question that can it be because of lipitor as it started after you started the drug the answer is simple 'NO'. Please ask someone to measure your pulse rate while you are sleeping. If sleeping pulse rate is high that usually is cause for concern. In that event you consult your doctor he will look for signs of hyperthyroidism and may do an EKG. Depending on clinical diagnosis which include but not limited to a. Anxiety b. Hyperthyroidism c. Intermittent supraventricular tachycardia d. A trial Fibrillation with normal heart & occurring intermittently; the doctor may like to do/order some investigations like Thyroid function tests, echocardiography, Holter etc. Diagnosis is the here after it is made treatment is easy. My personal feeling is you have no specific disease, increased heart rate on getting up is because of Stress & Anxiety.
With best wishes.

Dr Anil Grover