Heart races, painful chest, happens during night. Why would this happen?

My 6 year old daughter is a healthy girl. Every few months or so she comes to me and tells me that her hert hurts. When I feel her chest her heart is racing extremly fast. It always comes out of nowhere and usually it comes while shes being calm and coloring or really anything but jumping/running around. By the time I get her to the dr. it has slowed back down and they tell me it sounds normal. Yesterday morning she woke up at 6am and her heart was racing what seemed to me to be the fastest I had ever felt it. I asked her if she had been having a bad dream and she said no. Scared for her we went to the hospital and thy said it was due to her having a fever, she was 100.3 at the time. Any ohter time this has happened though, she has not had a fever. I am requesting a referral to a pediatric cardiac specialist but anything you know may help. thank you!
Asked On : Mon, 1 Apr 2013
Cardiologist 's  Response
at 6 year average heart rate upto 130 /min is normal.
in your child it may be sinus tacycardia, first you should go for ECG at time of tachycardia or holter monitoring - to see which rhythm is going on
i am writing causes of life threathing tachycardia.
Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT),Ventricular tachycardia (VT),Torsades de Pointes,long QT syndrome,Atrial flutter , Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) ,Myocarditis

do following investigations-
Electrolytes, CBC, glucose, Mg, Ca. Consider toxicology screen, thyroid function studies, blood gas.
Consider CXR, cardiac echo.
12 lead ECG

Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Irregular heart beats need to be DOCUMENTED by ElectroCardioGram (EKG).
Standard ECG records the electrical activity of the heart, for a few seconds. It can detect the arrhythmia occurring during that time only. If the episode occurs randomly or precipitated by a specific activity like exercise, one needs Holter or event monitor. Holter records for days; Event monitor for weeks / Holter records continuously / Event monitor only at certain times .

Abnormal nerve paths in the heart (bypass tracts) are most likely responsible! ECHOcardiogram / LABORATORY work-up – may all be necessary for further assessment and assistance.
The treating doctor may suggest them depending on need, based on his assessment of the situation. She may even need Electro Physiological Studies (EPS)

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck