Heart palpitations, skipped beats accompanied with belching, consistent pms, on medicines for anxiety, BP. Any inputs?

Hello Dr. Christensen, I have been having heart palpitations. Actually they feel more like skipped beats. They started about 6 months ago. However, they are becoming more frequent (happening daily for 4 days now). With the first day having an extreme attack of skipped beats in a row which threw me for a loop while I was at the supermarket. I have been diagnosed with anxiety but for some reason these seem different. It is not so much my heart racing like an anxiety attack it is a skipped beat. Also, I don t have a panic when they are happening like an anxiety attack. I also do not feel dizzy or pass out or any other symptom but complete discomfort! Also, the only other symptom is that I feel like belching when they skip a beat (I know that sounds crazy). I am 46 years old and believe that I might be in the stages of perimenopause. My menstrual cycle, although pretty regular, only lasts a day now. I also seem to have pms all the time! I think I have about 1 or 2 good days out of the month. My husband has said I have PMA (pretty much always! I did go to a physician for the skipped beats and they happened when he listened to my heart (for about not even a minute). I am on meds for BP ( atenolol ). The doctor told me to up my dose to 50 mg (I was on 25 mg). It hasn t done anything for the palps at all! Also, my blood pressure wasn t high on my normal dose that I was previously on. I am also on Xanax for anxiety. I do take the xanax when the palps are happening and it doesn t help either. The doctor did order some bloodwork and I do have to return to see him after I get the bloodwork done. However, at this time, I do not have health insurance since I started a new job and cannot afford for all sorts of expensive testing. I do have a stressful job working for a family law attorney and have been doing this type of work for over 20 years. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance! Regards, Laurie
Asked On : Wed, 9 Jan 2013