Heart palpitations, pounding, skipping beats, breathing difficulty, heart related or anxiety ?

I have asked my doctor several times about my heart palpitations, pounding, skips and sensations where it feels like I may have stopped breathing momentarily. He has told me on several different occasions this is just anxiety . I have had an EKG twice in the last few years. I feel like there is more going on here. Do I need to get a referral for my insurance before I can consult a specialty physician? I am 23 and obese , I have been regularly attending a gym since the beginning of the year and I am slowly loosing the weight. I do not smoke or drink or do any sort of drugs. I do eat healthy with a few occasional relapses with not so healthy food choices. I do have a high stress lifestyle but I feel my symptoms in connection with family history are worth truly looking into before starting our family.
Asked On : Sat, 21 Apr 2012