Heart murmur, have mild tricuspid regurgitation, high trig. and cholesterol. Is it safe to exercise ?

Hi, I am a 50 year old woman with high trig. and cholesterol . I don t smoke or drink, but I have a very strong family history on both sides of heart disease.. When I was 35 I was told I had a mild tricuspid regurgitation, but no treatments were given. Last year during a physical, my pcp told me he heard a heart murmur .. Is that the same as a T.R ? is it safe to exercise. I frequently get light headed upon standing, and when i try to exercise. I need to loose about 20 lbs, and my bp is controlled..
Asked On : Sat, 3 Nov 2012
Hello debi.simmons,

greetings from

I am Dr Sourav Chakraborty and i will be helping you with your query.

Going through your history in detail i do think the symptoms you are suffering from could be dute to tricuspid regurgitation, how ever tricuspid regurgitation is just a finding in a clinical evaluation or echocardiography but it signifies a underlying cardiac disease causing it .

Most common in your age group is pulmonary hypertension , other less likely causes are valvular heart disease , lung disease , left heart disease , so the exact cause need to be identified.

I do firmly believe you need to repeat your echocardiogram and if possible correlate it with earlier report, which you mentioned in your case scenario.

Take care of your deranged lipid profile primarily by following a strict diet plan and antidyslipidemia drugs suggested to you by your doctor.

Please do visit your primary physician regualrly as he/she have a better clinical picture and will guide you through your treatment.

Hope i have been lucid in my approach.