Heart enlarged. Was on atrial fibrillation. High cholesterol. Why does skin tear easily?

Last week my mother went to her family physician for a cold that she felt was getting worse, after taking the chest xray they found her heart to be enlarged. Scheduled her that evening to be seen my a cardiologist . I met and went with her to the exam he confirmed that in comparison to a chest xray that was taken this past May of 2012 it was enlarged, the EKG showed she was also in atrial fibrillation . She was not short of breath and no symptoms presented (other than the cold, and cough). The physician recommended an echo which was also done and found her to have mild CHF. He felt because of her age 78 and that she was in Afib that she needed to be started on a blood thinner. She is scheduled for a Stress test on the 20th of this month. He currently has her on a full asprin until we start her on the coumodin. I am concerned because she is a very active 78 yr women, she eats all the right kind of foods, attends a Zumba class for seniors, is not over weight neg for DM and HBP however she does have high cholesterol for which other than diet and exercise is her current regimen due to the side affects of the Statin drugs. I just want to make sure this is the correct course of treatment, her skin is so thin now any minor rub or scrap her skin tears and bleeds of course due to the asprin I understand that is also making her skin thin. Family history is mother died at age 55 with massive heart attack fathers history is unknown, are we making the right choice and especially if her stress test comes up negative is the current dx correct? Before I continue I would like to submit the exrays and other results.
Asked On : Fri, 14 Sep 2012