Heart beat fast, chances of mitral valve prolapse, advised to cut back coffee. Concerned?

Hi! I am 42 years old, female. My heart has for a long time always jumped or raced on occasion at night when i lay down. I do consume a few cups of coffee during the mornings, some tea during the day.. My doctor had told me to cut back as it may cause mitral valve prolapse . Now, it happens at any time during the day or night before i go to bed. i feel the pumping come on. it feels quick and fast. Iam more stressed right now however, as my father had been in hospital since dec. 23rd, then passed away last week. Should i be concerned?
Asked On : Tue, 15 Jan 2013