Heart beat 140 per minute. Is it OK to have suddenly?

Im writing for my brother here. One day he returned from his aunties, and sat on the computer for three hours. He turns it off, walks into his bedroom, gets changed, brushes his teeth, lies in bed, reads a book for an hour. His heart quickly beatens, over 140 per minute, possibly more. It looked like a cartoon, you could see it, beaten, it was clear to see, it stuck out loads. This never happened before, and he wasn t doing anything, he was very relaxed. Anyone know anything about this. We were going to take him to hospital, but my mother thinks its too late, because it slowed down, about 10 minutes later. Could we still take him. It happened about two days ago. We are defiantly taking him straight away once it happens.
Asked On : Sat, 19 Dec 2009
Palpitations can be harmless, but if it's occurring frequently and is interfering with his day to day activities/exercise I'd take him to the GP..actually take him anyways just to be on the safe side..he'll probably do an ECG Also reduce his caffeine and sugar intake...take a note of how long these episodes last for, more than 30 seconds needs to be investigated