Hearing heartbeat, have fast heartbeat. Should we go for medical check up?

My 5 year old grand daughter complained today of hearing her heart beat in her head. Her mom discovered she had a very fast heart beat. This has happened before, seemingly - she was unable to explain it to her mom until now. As this is Saturday evening, the GP offices are closed. She is fine now, but I am very worried. Should we take her to the ER?
Asked On : Wed, 20 Jun 2012
Thanks for sharing your concern.
As she is fine now , there is no need to go to ER.
You can see your GP on non urgent basis.
If the episode of fast & thumping beats recurs & lasts over 5 minute or so ,heart beats are so fast that they are difficult to count , or if associated with breathing difficulty, then definitely ER visit is warranted.
Episodes of fast beats can be due to excitement ,anxiety,fever ,& exercise.
She will need an EKG (heart tracing) also to look for any rhythm disorder of heart muscles.
Hope you find the explaination useful.