Headaches, dizziness, ringing sensation in ears, hallucinations. Is it mini stroke?

My dad is 68 and 2 weeks ago he complained with a popping feeling in the front of his head,he said it was several small pops. He also said his ears was ringing like a telephone,bad headache and slightly dizzy.But the scariest part was he started hallucinating,talking about death as if he was about to die,he was confused and had several crying spells.This went on for about three hours and he slowly started coming back around.After he came back to his normal self he remembered nothing about what happened .He went to see his doctor two days after what happen and she said she thought it might be mini stroke but she did no test.Two nights ago he woke my mother up she heard him scream out and he told her he was awaken by a pop in his head but he immediately fell back asleep and seems to be ok.
Asked On : Thu, 10 Oct 2013
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013
Thank you for posting your query.

I agree with your doctor and feel that your father is having mini strokes, a condition, also referred to as transient ischemic attacks (TIAs). In this condition, the blood supply to a part of brain is reduced, resulting in various symptoms that depend on the area of brain affected.

Investigations are required to confirm the diagnosis and find out the risk factors for mini strokes in your father. MRI and MR angiogram would show the area of brain affected. Blood tests for sugar, cholesterol and homocysteine should be done, as they are risk factors for mini strokes.

Treatment would make him better. The usual medications are aspirin and statins, in addition to the control of risk factors.

I hope it helps.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist