Head injury, headache on the top of the head, sleeping excessively. Medical attention needed?

My son hit his head really hard (top of the head) when he jumped up and hit the door frame (he s 6 foot 2, so it wasn t far but his velocity was high). He was fine, but now (five days later) he has a headache on the top of the head and has been asleep for 15 hours. Should I take him to be seen by the doc or should we wait?
Asked On : Sat, 5 Jan 2013
Neurologist, Surgical 's  Response
I would advise you to take him to the doctors to have him checked out. While the possibility of there being a serious issue is small, the symptoms you report could potentially indicate bleeding in the brain which can sometimes manifest a fair bit later than the time of injury. A visit to the ER would therefore be reassuring at the very least.

hope this helps.