Head injury, bump on forehead, leg and neck soreness. Chances of getting seizures?

Doctor, my boyfriend just got into a car accident last night and it was a head on collision. He hit his head on the steering wheel and has a bump the size of half of a baseball on the right side of his forehead and hasn t went to the hospital or emergency yet. I ve been reading similar stories and they say that a couple weeks after their car accident the patient gets seizures. He is 19 years old and 6 3 about 185 pounds. He says his neck and legs are sore but he is fine. What should he do?
Asked On : Wed, 28 Nov 2012
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013
Thank you for posting your query.

I agree with you that seizures may occur after a head injury. However, it occurs only in a minority of patients (typically less than 10% of patients with head injury get seizures).

What I would suggest is to get a CT scan of the brain done. If there is internal brain injury, then there are higher chances of getting seizures. However, if the scan is normal, then, there is very little chance of getting seizures.

There is no need to worry, as even if seizures occur, they can be treated with medications.

I hope it helps.

Please get back if you require any further information.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My blog: