Having voice problem

I m 14 years old boy .I have a very low voice . my doctor said I OK . But I m not . I suffer a lot because of me voice . P.S : When I shout ..a strange loud voice is coming from my throat and my lungs I don t know what to do ?
Asked On : Sat, 2 Apr 2011
ENT Specialist 's  Response
During puberty in males the mass and length of the vocal fold increase due to the hormone testosterone and the pitch decreases. Few of the people although having the appropriate vocal fold mass and length after the puberty, but they are not able to switch to the new low pitch voice (male like).Mostly its reason can be usually long time habits from childhood, speaking into a high pitch voice. In this case only thin edges of vocal cords vibrates and also the whole length of the vocal cord does not vibrate. Puberphonia can be very easily treated by voice therapy (vocal exercises) given by speech language pathologist/speech therapist. Duration mostly can be 1-2 week sometime more and that also needs expertise in voice therapy of the therapist. For details please click on:

Who are the speech language pathologist /Speech therapist?
These are the professionals trained for the assessment and treatment of all kinds of communication disorders.
They should have the following qualification:
B.Sc. (Hons )Speech and Hearing/B.Sc. Speech and Hearing/Bachelor in Audiology and speech language Pathology(BASLP)
M.Sc. Speech language pathology/M.Sc. speech and hearing/ MASLP
Certified by Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI) to work in India

Although in India bachelor degree holders are also eligible to work as speech language pathologist/ speech therapist, but in developed countries like US minimum requirement is master degree.

DHLS is diploma course in the field of speech and hearing and these professional are trained to work as speech therapist assistant/audiologist assistant. They are not speech therapist or audiologist and they can only work under the supervision of speech language pathologist/speech therapist/audiologist.
Sanjay kumar
Speech Language pathologist
An AIIMS Delhi and AIISH Mysore Alumnus

ENT Specialist Dr. Amrita Basu's  Response
Boys often suffer from puberphonia during puberty as a result of which the voice may sound feminine. Peer pressure due to this often makes a physiological condition worrisome.With maturity voice deepens .Can consult a voice therapist to help vocalize better. Most important is to build up your selfconfidence so that this temporary condition doesnot worry you unnecessarily!

ENT Specialist Dr. Puneet Maheshwari's  Response
Dear, IT is just a benign and temporary condition.... Puberophonia.

You need not to be worried from this, just follow these instructions..

1- Dont just think of this condition.
2- Dont feel depressed.
3- Take part in extra curricular activities.
4 Take good energy rich diet.
Dont consult many doctors for this condition coz u are all rite.

Thanks n regards.
dr puneet maheshwari.