Having violent coughing, adam's apple sensitive and hurting, no sore throat. Should i go for check up?

Allergy season just started and while I kept it at bay during daytime, I was awake at 3 am for the past 3 days with violent coughing. Today, my adam s apple (tho I am a girl ) is very sensitive and really hurts - eating and doing any swallowing is a real chore and it really hurts! It s not a sore throat - it s the actual hard part of the throat you can touch just beneath the skin . Do I need to get it checked or is it just very painful and I need to take stronger nighttime no cough medicine?
Asked On : Fri, 18 May 2012