Having tightnes with swelling and pain in the knee. Treatment?

I am a disabled veteran because of knees problems. Never had surgery, now 13 years later still having pain every know and then, my right knee has been going out a lot. Usually after a day it loosens up and I can walk normal and no pain. Yesterday early it went out again and it hasn t got any better. In fact it Jet s worse today and when I walk my knee goes inward and the back right side of it is very tight with swelling and painful. This isn t the first time this has happened but usually it s gone by now not worse. Could it just be that finally my knee is giving out . If I remover correctly they said when I was in the military that I have grade 4 chrondromalachia patella .
Asked On : Sun, 2 Dec 2012