Having swollen elbow. Cannot fully extend or straighten my arm. What does the finding mean?

I am a 61 year-old male with a swollen elbow on my dominant arm that is quite painful to touch and painful/difficult to flex or staighten. I cannot fully extend or straighten my arm due to the discomfort. The swelling is about 2-3 inches in diameter on the outside, pointy part of the elbow with a slightly reddened centre about the size of a quarter, and is mildly warm to the touch. I did not injure the elbow nor have I been exercising (e.g. playing golf/racket ball sports) or hyper-extending the elbow... the condition just came out of the blue and has persisted now for 2 days. Thank you.
Asked On : Thu, 25 Apr 2013