Having swelling in middle finger. Prescribed Ibuprofen. X-ray reported no foreign objects in the joint. Reason and remedy?

I have swelling in middle finger - apparently not arthritis. Was prescribed Ibuprofen. Hasn't had any effect.
The swelling doesn't ache, so much as sting. When moving the finger there is an audible sqelching sound.
My right thumb has also started to show the same symptoms.
I have had an Xray which prove negative for any foriegn objects in the joint.
I am a gardener by trade and wondered if this could possibly be Lyme Desease or some other fungal infection.
Asked On : Wed, 10 Apr 2013