Having sharp pain under rib cage, hiccups. Was taking codeine for headache. What is causing this?

Hi. For the last few weeks I ve had a sharp pain that feels like it s underneath the lhs of my rib cage. It comes and goes (mainly there all the time now). it hurts when I breathe/ hiccup . Sometimes so bad it hurts my neck when I breathe hard. It doesn t hurt when I cough (except for the breathing in before coughing). No medical history except take codeine for bad headaches . Had no accident to cause this. It feels like I ve broken a rib (but not as painful as it s not continuous. Any ideas? This aside, for the last 30 years, I ve very occasionally (twice a year) had sharp stabbing pains in that area. I mentioned this to the doctor years ago, who said I probably did it during PE at school. However, that pain is now similar to the pain I ve got continuously (give or take), though not as dramatic. I m 44 year old female.
Asked On : Sun, 3 Mar 2013