Having sharp pain from groin area to leg. Not able to sleep properly at night due to pain. Any cure?

Hi I have a spontaneous sharp shooting pain from my right groin down my leg to my shin. It last about a minute and is very severe. I am not very fit and did not injury myself exercising. This has been going on a couple of months, Its happened twice a day at first now its every few minutes and kept me awake most of the night Thanks Susan
Asked On : Mon, 18 Jun 2012
the pain sounds like neuralgia or nerve pain although this is more common in the back of the leg where we call it sciatica than in the front. if it is caused by nerve compression then this will be occurring in the lumbar spine and could be diagnosed by an MRI scan.

the other possibility is that this pain could be coming from the hip joint in which case an X-ray of your hips would be useful.

a careful history of the pain and a clinical examination by your doctor should be able to distinguish the origin of the pain and the he can arrange the appropriate investigations.

nerve pain is best treated by drugs such as gabapentin and pregabalin. joint or musculoskeletal pain by antiinflammatory medication.