Having severe nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, headache. Prescribed omeprazole for GERD. Treatment for symptoms?

Hello.. I am suffering from nausea and vomiting though I am always indisposed. I have severe abdominal pain especially during night and headache too.I have been like this for a month and I already consulted a doctor regarding this matter. She said I might have gerd and prescribed me to take omeprazole once a day. I have been taking it for 5 days. However, it seems that the medicine has no effect. Please do help. Thanks in advance.
Asked On : Fri, 22 Mar 2013
Jun 2015
Hello dear...

The symptoms as mentioned by you suggest that you might be having Gastro esophageal reflux disease, which is caused by the reflux of acid from stomach to esophagus due to relaxation of the sphincter at the lower part of esophagus.

Management consists of:
1. Lifestyle modification- like weight reduction, sleeping on the left side, or with upper body raised.
2. Dietary modification- avoid consuming irritating substances such as acidic & rich foods, caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol.
3. Medical management- Proton pump inhibitors like Omeprazole, Pantoprazole,etc. (which prevent acid formation in stomach) Metoclopramide can also be used but it has some side effects on long term usage.

Symptoms of nausea & vomiting can be taken care of by anti emetics like Domperidone & for stomach pain, Cyclopam can be used twice a day.

As you have mentioned that you are not getting relieved by omeprazole, it will be better to consult a Gastroenterologist for further management.
Investigations like Endoscopy & Ultrasound scan of the abdomen will be helpful in clinching the diagnosis.

There is no need to will be fine.
Wish you a good health & speedy recovery.
Thanks & Take care