Having severe cramping with brownish discharge. Pregnancy test negative. What are the chances ectopic pregnancy?

I went to the doctor Friday, I had a pregnancy test done, it came back positive but then the ultrasound showed nothing. I should be about 8-9 weeks pregnant. They told me to come back Tuesday and have another ultrasound and blood work. Since then, I have had cramping, not severe, just like regular period cramps and light brown discharge . Should I go to the ER or wait to go back to my doctor? I am worried that it is an ectopic pregnancy
Asked On : Thu, 20 Sep 2012