Having recurrent abdominal pain, gas, nausea, vomitting. Has lactose intolerance. No help with antibiotics. Solution?

Hi doctor, my son has been having abdominal pain since April 2012 (mainly around his bellybotton and above) ! He has been for blood works (normal) xrays (constipation) , sonar (mesenteric adenitis ) and endoscopy (mild reflux and small hiatal hernia ) and he was also told he has IBS! He started getting better on the Nexium (8 week course) and antibiotics but in the last 2 weeks his symptoms have come back again with the daily abdominal pain and gas, he sometimes feels nausea and vomiting and passes stools every day! We are looking at his diet and have noticed that he is a bit lactose intolerent and I am worried that it might be something more serious i.e. celiac disease, chron s disease, lymphoma, etc! GP has now given him Altosec 20mg to take! Please can you help! Daleen
Asked On : Sat, 15 Dec 2012
Hello Daleen
Thank you for getting in touch with us. As I see, your son has been diagnosed with IBS and Lactose intolerance. We would like you to know that IBS requires treatment over a long period of time and symptoms might recur at any point. As for being lactose intolerant, you have to take special care there. You have to avoid giving your son any sugar products. It would have been better if you have mentioned the age of your son. As for other diseases you have mentioned, you can contact your Doctor and he/she might conduct some tests to confirm the diagnosis if the need arises. Hope this helps
Dr. Gagandeep Dhillon