Having pulmonary edema. Diagnosed with CCF. On low salt diet. What is the recovery time?

My father has just come out of hospital having had a pulmonary oedema (sorry if that s spelt incorrectly). I m just looking at his discharge letter notes and they refer to him having a diagnosis of ccf which I ve just found out the meaning of secondary to IHD. I suppose what I m asking is will he make a fairly good recovery in time. I understand he has to be on a low salt diet and I realise recovery might take 6 months or so but I just wanted to know if he s likely to be the same as he was before this episode (eventually)?
Asked On : Tue, 7 Aug 2012
Nephrologist 's  Response
hello and thanks for the query,
well as advised by his doctor do follow all the instructions and he not only has to reduce salt diet but also the amount of fluids consumed should be reduced, and make sure he takes the medications prescribed regularly without missing any and also about being the same as before do try and understand and also explain to him that after having been diagnosed with congestive cardiac failure he will have to take precautions and certainly not try anything that can lead to exertion and he has to be careful, he can go about his daily activities easily but not heavy work. I wish him a speedy recovery, take care.
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Ram Choudhary's  Response
Hi Sue,
Welcome to healthcare magic!
Your father is having congestive heart failure secondary to ischemic heart disease.
This disease may recover partially, the heart function can be quantified by 2D ECHO, but this disease is not reversible.
There are good medicines that can prevent further deterioration and need for hospitalisation, the type and regimen your physician will decide after examining the details in person.
He will need regular follow up and treatment along with low salt diet.

I hope this advise would be helpful for you.

Still if you have any queries or doubts, please write me back,
I would be happy to solve them.

I wish your father a great health!
General & Family Physician Dr. Michelle Gibson James's  Response
Hi, I am sorry that your father is not feeling well.

CCF or congestive heart failure implies that the heart cannot meet the demands of the body either because the demand has increased or the capacity to supply has decreased. In cases of IHD ( ischaemic heart disease) the blood supplied to the heart has decreased because of blockage to the blood vessels in the heart itself usually due to high cholesterol.
Because the heart is not receiving enough blood then it cannot work properly to supply blood to the rest of the body.
Heart failure can involve the right or the left side of the heart, in alot of cases both sides are involved

Your father's heart failure would have caused fluid to build up in the lungs if the left side of the heart did not remove blood from the vessels in the lungs because of impaired function.

Heart failure is staged from 1 to 4 and your father's prognosis will vary according to the stage.
Class one- no limitation in activity
Class 2- slight limitation in activity, no problems at rest
Class3 - marked limitation in activity, less than ordinary activity leads to symptoms, no problems at rest
Class 4- unable to carry on any physical activity without discomfort or symptoms, symptoms at rest

Unfortuately heart failure is still associated with significant morbidity and mortality despite the wide range of treatments available.
These can be reduced by controlling risk factors such as high cholesterol, hypertension, diabetes, excess weight.

You should speak to your father's doctor regarding his stage of heart failure and the expected prognosis specific for him.

I hope this information is helpful to you