Having pain in the ear and neck. Swelling in the neck. Not on medication. USG suggested. Concerned

I am feeling pain in my left side of neck near ear and perhaps some time even feel by me in deep ear though i am not taking any medication regarding this problem this pain last for 1 or 2 days and then it goes away during this pain period their is a swelling in the neck also. this entire episodic pain is their from last 2 3 months today I consulted with a availble dr. he adviced me for USG of left side of neck. as per his investigation swelling is of 3 X2 . what would be the posible reason of this pain.
Asked On : Mon, 10 Sep 2012